Parts of Construction Industry to Be Shut Down By Ford Government: Report
The Globe and Mail is reporting that Premier Ford will announce later today that some sectors of the construction industry in Ontario will be shut down.
Ford has already said that his government would be trimming down the current list of 74 essential businesses still allowed to operate in the province under a state of emergency. A press conference is scheduled to take place today at Queen’s Park at 1:30 pm.
There are more than 2,000 construction sites currently operating in Ontario. Citing an “industry executive who has been given a heads-up about the government’s plans”, The Globe is reporting that “all private sector industrial, commercial and institutional sector construction work will be halted.”
However, according to the source, public-sector projects and some residential construction will continue to operate.
Yesterday, Premier Ford announced that Ontario’s top doctors would be sharing the coronavirus modelling projections they’ve been using to make decisions surrounding closures and social distancing measures. “It’s going to be hard for some people to hear. People will see some really stark figures tomorrow,” Ford said. A press conference is set for noon today for this presentation.
As of Friday morning, there have been 3,255 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Ontario so far and 67 deaths related to the virus.
More to come as this story develops.