With all Bed Bath & Beyond stores across Canada now officially closed, the fate of more former storefronts has been decided.
Prior to filing for insolvency in February, the Bed Bath & Beyond Group operated 54 stores in nine provinces, as well as 11 buybuy Baby stores. Already, ten locations were acquired by Canadian Tire, and 21 were purchased by business executive Doug Putman for the launch of his new home store brand, rooms + spaces.
Now, Putman has upped his stake in the defunct big box store's real estate portfolio, revealing plans to open nine new Toys "R" Us Canada stores as well as the first two dedicated Babies "R" Us stores in former Bed Bath & Beyond locations this summer and fall.
The expansion represents nearly 300,000 sq. ft. of retail space in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario, Québec, and Nova Scotia.
Putman, through his namesake investment management firm, purchased the Canadian faction of the toy store chain from Fairfax Financial Holdings in 2021.
"The acquisition of the majority of Canadian Bed Bath & Beyond locations gave us the opportunity to open Toys "R" Us stores in new neighbourhoods across the country. Our new locations will have an elevated in-store experience with bigger retail shops from our vendor partners," Putman said.
"Our first two dedicated Babies "R" Us stores will open in Edmonton in former buybuy Baby locations, filling a big gap left in the market when buybuy Baby closed."
In addition to the new stores, two existing Toys "R" Us locations in Burlington and Newmarket will open 6,000-sq.-ft. additions in June. The expansions will include book and gifting sections catered to adults. As well, all forthcoming rooms + spaces stores will include a 1,500 to 2,500-sq.-ft. Toys "R" Us shop-in-shop
The Bed Bath & Beyond and buy buy Baby locations that will become Toys "R" Us and Babies "R" Us stores are:
- Burnaby: Station Square, 6200 McKay Avenue (opening this summer)
- Kamloops: Columbia Square, 500 Notre Dame Drive (opening this summer)
- Victoria: Uptown Mall, 3600 Uptown Boulevard (opening in October)
- Edmonton: South Edmonton Common, 2017 98th Street NW (Babies "R" Us only, opening this summer)
- Edmonton: West Edmonton Common, 8882 170 Street NW (Babies "R" Us only, opening this summer)
- Calgary: Brentwood Village, 3630 Brentwood Road (opening this summer)
- Calgary: Township Calgary, 80 Longview Common SE (opening this summer)
- Nepean: Barrhaven, 3777 Strandherd Drive (opening this summer)
- Toronto: Lawrence and Allen Center (opening in October)
- Lanaudière: Galeries de Lanaudière, 540-570 Montée des Pionniers (opening in October)
- Halifax: 208 Chain Lake Drive (opening this summer)