It won't just be amateur drivers taking to Toronto streets this weekend -- the Honda Indy Toronto is making its grand return for the first time since the onset of the pandemic. As exciting as that may be for racing enthusiasts, it also means several road closures are coming to Toronto streets.
In addition to the Indy race, there are also a handful of other events, ActiveTO routes, and construction work planned for this upcoming weekend that will see several major roads either fully or partially closed to vehicular traffic. Some of the closures will begin as early as Thursday and last until the early hours of Monday morning.
The closures will not only affect drivers, but public transit riders as well, with TTC routes having to adjust to blocked-off streets. The TTC is advising anyone who plans to use transit this weekend to check their website for service updates.
A number of GO buses will also experience service disruptions due to the Honda Indy closures. Eastbound GO Bus Route 16 trips will end at Aldershot GO to connect customers to Lake Shore West trains. Westbound trips will begin at Aldershot GO. Eastbound GO Bus Route 21 and 31 trips will end at Port Credit GO to connect customers to Lake Shore West trains. Westbound trips will begin at Port Credit GO.
The City of Toronto is encouraging anyone needing to drive in the general vicinity of road closures to stay alert, allot extra travel time, and consider alternate routes.
The full list of road closures is as follows:
- Lake Shore Boulevard West between Strachan Avenue and British Columbia Road will be closed to vehicle traffic from 9 p.m. Thursday July 14 until 1 a.m. on Monday, July 18 for Honda Indy Toronto
- Southbound lanes on Strachan Avenue between Fleet Street and Lake Shore Boulevard West are closed from Thursday morning until 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, July 17 for Honda Indy Toronto
- Edward Street between Bay Street and Yonge Street will be closed from 6 a.m. to 11 a.m. on Saturday, July 16 for the Festival of India parade
- There will also be rolling closures on southbound Yonge Street from Edward Street to Queens Quay West on Saturday, July 16 between 11 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. for the Festival of India parade
- Bloor Street West between Dufferin Street and Lansdowne Avenue will be closed from 8 a.m. on Sunday, July 16 until 3 a.m. on Monday, July 18 for the Big on Bloor Festival
- Bloor Street West between Jane Street and Runnymede Road will be closed from 5 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, July 16 for the Bloor West Street Fest
- McLevin Avenue between Sewells Road and Neilson Road, and Neilson Road from McLevin Avenue to Finch Avenue East, will be closed to vehicle traffic from 10 a.m to 6 p.m. on July 16 for the Junior Carnival Parade
- Market Street is currently closed from Front Street East to The Esplanade for I Heart Market Street activities
- Bayview Avenue from Rosedale Valley Road to Lawren Harris Square, and River Street between Bayview Avenue and Spruce Street will be closed for ActiveTO from 7 a.m. on Saturday, July 16 until 7 p.m. on Sunday, July 17
- Lake Shore Boulevard West from Yonge Street to Bay Street is reduced to one westbound lane until July 17 for construction work by Enbridge
- Yonge Street between The Esplanade and Lake Shore Boulevard is reduced to one lane in each direction to facilitate a pedestrian bridge construction work
- Wellington Street from Yonge Street to Church Street is reduced to one westbound lane for TTC track replacement and sidewalk improvements
- Travel lanes on The Queensway between Parkside Drive and Roncesvalles Avenue are reduced to a minimum of one shared travel lane in each direction for King-Queen-Queensway-Roncesvalles TTC track replacement and road reconstruction work. King Street West is also closed at this intersection.
- The Overlea Boulevard Bridge over the Don River is reduced to one lane in each direction for bridge rehabilitation