The first day of summer always occurs in late-June, but Canada Day often feels like the real first day of summer. Because Canada Day falls on a Saturday this year, government buildings and crown corporations across Metro Vancouver will be closed on both Saturday and Monday, but there are still plenty of other places that are open and no lack of things to do.
In terms of getting around, public transit will also be operating on holiday schedules. According to TransLink, buses, SkyTrains, and SeaBuses will all run on the Sunday/holiday schedule on Saturday, but on a regular schedule on Monday, while the West Coast Express will not be running at all both days.
TransLink customer service offices will also all be closed both days. Holiday fares will be in effect on Saturday, which means you only need to pay a one-zone fare to travel across all zones.
The annual fireworks at Canada Place have been permanently cancelled by the Port of Vancouver, but Canada Place will still be open and hosting Canada Day festivities, from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm, including various performances, a citizenship ceremony, sports events, and food trucks.
In Burnaby, a Canada Day festival will be held at Central Park (next to Patterson Station on the Expo Line SkyTrain) from 6:30 pm to 10:30 pm, with fireworks beginning around 10:15 pm.
In Surrey, a day-long celebration will be held at the Bill Reid Millennium Amphitheatre from 10:00 am to 10:30 pm, also with fireworks to close out the night.
Coquitlam's celebration will be held from 12:00 pm to 10:30 pm at Town Centre Park (near Lafarge Lake Douglas Station of the Millennium Line), with fireworks beginning at 10:00 pm.
Here's what's open and closed on Canada Day and Monday, July 3.
What's Closed in Vancouver on Canada Day
- Government buildings (also closed on Monday, July 3)
- Canada Post (also closed on Monday, July 3)
- Banks (also closed on Monday, July 3)
- ICBC (also closed on Monday, July 3)
- Public libraries
- BC Liquor Stores
What's Open in Vancouver on Canada Day
Shopping and Groceries
- Metrotown (11:00 am to 7:00 pm)
- The Amazing Brentwood (10:00 am to 9:00 pm)
- Pacific Centre (11:00 am to 7:00 pm)
- Guildford Town Centre (11:00 am to 7:00 pm)
- Richmond Centre (11:00 am to 7:00 pm)
- London Drugs
- Shopper’s Drug Mart
- Cineplex Theatres
- Science World (9:30 am to 4:00 pm)
- Vancouver Aquarium (9:30 am to 5:30 pm)
- Vancouver Lookout (10:00 am to 7:00 pm)
- FlyOver Canada (9:30 am to 8:30 pm)
- Greater Vancouver Zoo (9:00 am to 5:00 pm)