The Easter long weekend is finally here, albeit with a different tone, as residents are being asked to practice social distancing measures and all non-essential businesses remain closed.
On Friday, April 10, most Ontarians will have the day off, including essential workers at grocery stores and pharmacies, as per orders from Premier Doug Ford.
“We’ve been listening to business owners and employees – the truth is that everyone working in our grocery stores and pharmacies, our truck drivers and those working the line, they have been working day and night for weeks to keep the food and medicine we need on the shelves,” Ford said at his daily news conference on Wednesday afternoon at Queen’s Park.
“One way we are saying ‘thank you,’ is making sure they have this Friday and Sunday off,” said Ford, adding, "let’s give our workers a break that they’ve earned.”
Ford confirmed that stores will be open on Thursday, again on Saturday, and then again on Monday and all days following.
As for the rest of the city, most services will be completely shut down with a few exceptions. Here's what's open and closed on Good Friday in Toronto.
Places that are closed
- LCBO and Beer Stores
- Provincial and municipal government offices
- Post offices and mail delivery
Places that are open
- The TTC will operate on a holiday service schedule, which means all TTC routes will operate on their Sunday service schedules but will start earlier, at approximately 6 am. Any routes that do not normally operate on Sundays, will not operate on the holiday.
- Some restaurants will still be open for takeout and delivery. We advise calling ahead to see what's open near you.
While most major grocery stores will be closed on Good Friday and Easter Sunday, there are a few confirmed exceptions, listed below:
- Fresh and Wild (Bloor and Spadina locations): Good Friday, 9 am to 6:30 pm, Saturday, 9 am to 8 pm, and Easter Sunday, 10 am to 6 pm.
- Various Rabba locations: Rabba Fine Foods says at this time, it remains open to serve customers 24/7.
- The Food Depot (Dupont Street): Open 24 hours per day, 365 days per year.
- The Kitchen Table (10 Queens Quay West): Open 7 days per week, 6 am to 12 am
- The Kitchen Table (389 Spadina Road): Open 7 days per week, 7 am to 12 am
- The Kitchen Table (705 King Street West): Open 7 days per week, 6 am to 2 am