Photo via John Tory's Facebook page
Ontario News

John Tory Declares State of Emergency in Toronto

In an effort to contain the ongoing outbreak of the coronavirus, Mayor John Tory has declared a State of Emergency in Toronto.

March 23, 2020

11:05 AM

In his most sweeping effort yet to contain the ongoing outbreak of the coronavirus, Mayor John Tory has declared a State of Emergency in Toronto.


This move comes after provincial health officials reported 78 new COVID-19 cases, the largest single-day jump in Ontario so far, bringing the total to 503.

RELATED:

  • Ford Orders all Non-Essential Businesses to Close for 14 Days
  • TTC Ridership Down 60% as Torontonians Embrace Social Distancing
  • Tracking Every Coronavirus Case in Toronto (MAP)
  • “We are declaring a state of emergency as part of the city's ongoing efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19,” Tory said.

    The move will ensure the municipal government can continue to act and respond quickly to the pandemic and any other events that arise in the weeks ahead.

    "I know this is an incredibly tough time for residents across our city. I want them to know that we are doing everything we can at the City to fight this virus while continuing to deliver our essential and critical services," Tory said.

    Tory said he remains confident that the city will get through this pandemic by continuing to work together and following the advice from public health professionals.

    Tory said he strongly recommends residents to continue taking every precaution in protecting themselves. "Stay home, stay safe, and only venture out to buy essential supplies once a week. Even better, order online when possible."

    The mayor added that he knows there are still many residents who continue to put their health and the health of the community at risk.

    "We know the number of COVID-19 cases continues to increase in our city and that the next few days are absolutely critical in our ongoing efforts to slow down the spread of COVID-19," said Tory.

    The announcement comes after Tory received advice this morning from Toronto’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Eileen de Villa, which follows public health officials reporting the city’s first death from the virus Sunday afternoon and community spread of the virus.

    This news comes on the same day that Premier Doug Ford announced the closure of all non-essential services in the province to shut down by 11:59 pm Tuesday.

    As of March 23, Toronto has 220 confirmed cases, with 11 hospitalizations and one death as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.

    “It is a tragic reminder that we are confronting a deadly virus. That is why it is so important that we all continue to do everything we can to keep COVID-19 from continuing to spread,” said Tory.

    Ontario News

    Trending

    You may also like

    Construction

    How Metro Vancouver Is Standardizing Regulations For Six-Storey Rental Projects

    ​Eleven municipalities participated in creating the standardized approach, which is being developed as part of Metro Vancouver's Rental Housing Blueprint project.

    Real Estate News

    A Breakdown Of Metro Vancouver's Housing Needs By Geography & Tenure

    ​Our average housing need in recent years is 46,092 per year, while the average completions in the same span is 23,424, says Metro Vancouver.

    Policy

    Carney Pledges To Get Feds Back Into "Business of Homebuilding"

    The announcement is joined by newly released specifics surrounding Carney's housing plan, which aims to double the pace of housing construction to 500,000 homes a year by cutting red tape and taxes.

    Burnaby

    Burnaby Approves Royal Oak Community Plan, Ushering In New Era

    ​The new Community Plan establishes Royal Oak Station and the Kingsway-Royal Oak intersection as two new nodes for high-density redevelopment in Burnaby.

    Industry

    "It's A Mistake": Vancouver Development Community At Odds With Retaliatory Tariffs

    Many leaders across the Metro Vancouver development community are against the idea of Canada implementing retaliatory tariffs in response to the US.

    Real Estate News

    27 Cities Received A Housing Accelerato​r Fund Bonus – Why Didn't Toronto?

    Other cities, such as Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary, earned bonuses in the tens of millions for their efforts to spur housing development in their respective communities.

    Renting

    Over Half Of Purpose-Built Rental Sites In GTHA Have Infill Potential

    “The potential infill sites could accommodate an estimated 182,023 units, which was 4.5 times as many units as currently proposed at existing rental sites when including both purpose-built rentals and condos.”

    Industry

    Receiver Of Thind District Northwest Project Finds $86M Stalking Horse Bid

    Thind Properties was planning 1,023 units across two high-rise towers before the District Northwest project in Surrey was placed under receivership in November 2024.

    Multifamily

    Concert Properties Completes Seniors Housing Divestiture, Securing $334M

    Over the past year, Concert has sold its four Tapestry seniors housing properties in BC and Ontario to Tridel, Fengate Asset Management, and Chartwell Retirement Residences.

    Construction

    A Seismic Shift: New Earthquake Protections Push Project Costs Even Higher

    A consultant report for the province, obtained by STOREYS, estimates the impacts of the revised earthquake requirements at up to 80% higher for the seismic components by themselves.

    Construction

    GTA New Home Sales Plunge To "Rock Bottom Levels" In Worst February On Record

    The weak month isn't a one-off. Sales hit record lows multiple times in 2024, and the GTA closed out the year with the lowest new home sales seen in 40 years.

    Listed Country

    Ultimate Relaxation Awaits At This Newly Listed Muskoka Modern

    Nestled along the tranquil shoreline of Doe Lake, a modern architectural marvel in Gravenhurst is redefining the meaning of "Muskoka retreat."