Weekends in Toronto during the summer are hectic enough as it is, with many residents leaving to head to their cottages and out of the city to enjoy the weather. Unfortunately, this weekend is going to be even tougher for drivers, as the Gardiner Expressway will be fully closed for maintenance work.
The closure was initially slated to take place from June 25 to 28 but was rescheduled to this weekend due to weather.
The expressway is set to be off-limits from Friday at 11 pm until Monday at 5 am in both directions between the Don Valley Parkway and Carlaw Avenue to Highway 427 and Queen Elizabeth Way.
The City is encouraging residents to use a wayfinding app to plan an alternate route and avoid the closure. Motorists can also use Lake Shore Boulevard West, the Queensway, Bloor Street, and Evans Avenue as alternative routes over the weekend.
City staff have readied detailed traffic plans to help manage traffic congestion over the weekend. There will be signage to notify drivers and signals around the closure will be timed and actively managed throughout the weekend.
The full closure of the Gardiner Expressway ensures that City road crews, engineers, and other stakeholders can make improvements and keep the throughway in the best state of good repair.
Examples of maintenance work that will be performed this weekend include:
- Milling and paving of 15 km of roadway including more than 11,000 tonnes of asphalt
- Line marking
- Overhead and ground sign inspections, replacement and maintenance
- Pothole repair and crack sealing
- Mechanical sweeping and debris removal
- Graffiti removal
- Catch basin flushing and cleaning
- Bridge inspections and chipping
- Flushing of bridge joints
- Inspection, repair and replacement of "crash attenuation systems" that help cushion and redirect vehicles from barricades and barriers
- Inspection, repair and re-lamping of street lights
- Hydro pole replacement and repair
- Traffic camera inspection and repair
- Guiderail repair and replacement
Additionally, ActiveTO closures will also be in place this weekend, affecting the following city streets:
- Eastbound lanes of Lake Shore Boulevard East between Leslie Street and Woodbine Avenue
- Bayview Avenue between Front Street East and Rosedale Valley Road
- River Street between Bayview Avenue and Spruce Street
- The Meadoway in Scarborough (Brimley Road to Scarborough Golf Club Road)
- Roads within Exhibition Place and High Park